Wednesday, May 26, 2010

The Epic Copyright Story: Somebody Stole A Picture of Me

So I should of written about this long ago, but something crazy crazy CRAZY happened to me around December of last year...

The Back Story
Flashback to freshman year of college (almost three years ago now), I just moved into my dorm and met my roommate Mike. He was an incredible photographer at only 20 years old so one thing led to another and we were doing a mini photoshoot one night. He knew I was a big poker fan so we were doing different things with cards. We decided to do a picture where I would toss two aces and just pray that they were showing face-up to the camera. It took about forty tries, but eventually we got em' to show pretty well. However, we didn't know how GOOD the picture was going to show up. The final product is my profile picture for this blog so look to the top right to seeeee. This picture is also my facebook picture and as of right now, there are 54 comments from people talking about how awesome it is =).

The Incident
A little more backstory, my Sophomore year roommate has a friend who is one of the best MTT tournament players on Full Tilt and Pokerstars. I love to watch him play any chance I get. In the winter, this player was playing in the Aruba. One night, around 2am, I was looking for a site on Google to track his progress. I clicked on the first one and there was MY PROFILE PICTURE as the main picture of the background of that site. At first, I thought I was tripping from fatigue, but once I realized that this was LEGIT. I ran to my suitemates and tried to verbalize what the fuck I just found. Everybody had a good laugh, including my old roommate who took the picture. It was soo amazing to me that I just stumbled upon my picture. At first, I thought somebody took it from my facebook page, but it makes much more sense that somebody actually took it from this here poker blog! Heyyyy, that means people read this! Hehe, anyway, if you're out there dipshit, yeah u, the one who took my picture, I would like a nice talk please.

Everybody exploded when I posted the picture on facebook and a lot of people wanted me to sue their ass off. I will save what Mikey and I for the Part II of this post. Last but not least, here is a screenshot from the site.

6 comments:

OES said...

Oh and to clarify, this is obviously not my picture. But, it is a picture of me that I use for my sites. It is Mike's pic.

Josie said...

It IS an awesome photograph and the sox hat rocks.

Okay I have to give you ANOTHER link so readers can read this really cool story.

BLAARGH! said...

That is SOOOO not cool. Take the fucking graphics guy 10 minutes and 50 bucks to get a stock shot legitimately... though it's cool you got that in camera, it'd take me about 60 seconds to photoshop something together. Throwing the owner of the photo (you or your friend) the 50 bucks would be even better. (don't get me wrong - I'm not saying that pic is only worth 50 bucks, but I'm guessing Aruba wasn't paying the designer very much to begin with and he was cutting every corner he could. cheap royalty free stock photography is one of those ways)

Part of the design process is to quickly comp stuff together. It's possible sometimes for random stuff to make it to final, but very unlikely they "missed" the frigging main image on the header... that shit was intentional. I had a slipup recently that a freelancer working for me forgot to swap, but luckily the pilot only aired a couple of times and never got picked up, so it's not an issue... if it had gone to series, I would have removed it... was ticked off because I explicitly told him NOT to use random web images for just that reason.... sheesh.

I'd understand if it was some random kid on the web nabbing the pic, but a business? Hope you got Aruba to take it down and get the dude that stole it fired... or at least got em to ship you some $$.

Josie said...

Blaargh is right on the money. I'd have been emailing those mo fos pronto.

SirFWALGMan said...

I have no idea what Blaargg said. LOL. Cool blog. I still hate you though. ;).

BLAARGH! said...

let me rephrase it for you waffles:

blah blah blah pussy blah blah level 85 mage blah blah blah fucking idiots on full tilt.